Sunday, August 2, 2009

More Peru

I wish I had pictures now, but I suppose y'all will just have to wait for that. Here is the latest update from Peru, this time from the heights of the Andes. Enjoy!

We're in the Andean mountains now, staying on Lake Titicaca at 13,000 feet. [Note: On the Bolivian side of the lake is where Chipaya is spoken. If they were there, Jasper could make use of the one Chipaya word he knows--hwala, or "llama". What a pity, all that drilling for nothing...] The altitude is awful, but a nice combination of coca tea, water and advil are finally making me feel less lethargic. On our domestic flight, they served us a little snack in an awesome looking box. It featured a yummy sweet cake and some crackers, all very neatly arranged in the box. I liked the food, although the Irish couple sitting next to me didn't, which they blamed on their altitude medicine. Fortunately, the snack survived our two landing attempts in Cuzco (the pilot had to pull up at the last second before we hit a ditch by the runway due to the winds). At our hotel, I tried alpaca, which is really tender and lean (apparently also cholesterol free!). [Alpaca yarn is also really soft and lovely. They're the miracle animal!] Coca leaf tea tends to dull your hunger (along with pain and altitude sickness). As a result, when we went into Puno for a late night dinner, I couldn't even finish my soup even though it was so good. I think it had couscous or a similar grain, a big potato, cheese, and some other Andean ingredients. My parents had a trout and potato sampler, which they really enjoyed. Just wait until I can send the photos to Amy for uploading!

No comments:

Post a Comment