Saturday, June 11, 2011

Post-Grad Cooking in Alabama

My air conditioning wasn't working yesterday. This only lasted a day, but it was still about 90 degrees in my house. Ridiculously hot Alabama weather, ya'll. I wanted to eat something cold and light (and fast, so I could get back to sitting in front of a fan), so I made this simple salad, inspired by one that I saw on Tastespotting.



You can't really see the mango 'cause I should have added more, but the salad was yummy anyways. It could be even better with some avocado. Definitely good for hot weather.

Here's the recipe:
Ingredients
3-4 carrots
1 large cucumber
1 large (or 2 small) mangoes
chopped cilantro (as much as you want)
juice from 1/2 a large lemon (or 1 small lemon!)
1 tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
a pinch of salt

Directions
Julienne the carrots, cucumber, and mango and put in a bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix.
Makes about 4-5 servings.

Unfortunately, I had a BAKING DISASTER this morning. I painstakingly mixed and froze the dough last night for these spiced almond wafer cookies, and I burned them this morning when baking.



See they look fine here, right?



But they're totally ruined! Waaah :(

2 comments: